The most sustainable fabric, is finally getting its modern moment in the sun with an embrace of its versatility and long-lasting nature by ethical fashion designers and the more traditional designer names on the catwalk.
Linen is a much more sustainable fabric than cotton, even organic cotton. Below are some of the reasons making linen a key fashion trend of 2022:
- Linen is made from flax, which is a regenerative crop that enriches the soil.
- It uses a lot less water than cotton. A linen shirt uses 6.4 litres of water – it's 26 litres for a cotton shirt, according to the CELC (European Confederation of Flax and Hemp).
- Most flax is grown in northern Europe – France, Belgium and The Netherlands account for 85% of world production – which cuts down the air miles for the European fashion industry.
- Thanks to its temperature-regulating properties, it can be worn comfortably all year round.
- Linen's fibres are much longer lasting than cotton, which makes it more expensive to produce but it will last much longer in your wardrobe.
- It is an anti-bacterial fabric which means you don't need to wash it as often.
- There's no plastic in this natural material, so no microplastics will be washed into the sea when you wash.
For more information on linen visit https://www.linenclub.com